PhD Life at SLIET Longowal

Paramjeet Singh Jamwal with his Research mate of SLIET Longowal
Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy) is an educational journey that is more focused on a number of tasks rather than a number of years. Ph.D. start with the course work and go through the research proposal, research synopsis, research seminar, research publication, and research thesis. Through this post, Paramjeet Singh Jamwal is sharing his experience of Ph.D. life at Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology (SLIET), Longowal, Sangrur, Punjab, India.

Admission Process

On the 1st of July 2018, I appeared in the All India SLIET Entrance Test (SET-2018) and passed it on the 6th of July 2018. On the 16th of July 2018, I appeared in the interview and passed it on the 24th of July 2018. On the 1st of August 2018, I got admission to the Full-Time Ph.D. program with a fellowship and joined Ph.D. on the 6th of August 2018.

Course Work

Coursework is the first step of a Ph.D. In SLIET Longowal, there are two subjects in the course work which are as follows:
  1. Research Methodology (RM-10000) subject is common to all the Ph.D. Scholar. I appeared in the research methodology examination on the 11th of December 2018.
  2. While another subject depends upon the area of research. So, I opted for Power Quality Analysis and Control (IE-10008). I appeared in the power quality analysis and control examination on the 4th of December 2018.

Research Proposal

A research proposal is the second step of a Ph.D. To prepare a good research proposal exhaustive review of the literature is required. Along with that, there is a need to get a good grip on your research area. Therefore, to prepare my research proposal, I reviewed 55 number of literature including books and datasheets. Along with that, I attended 3 short-term courses (STC).

I attended a short-term course on "Multi-Level Inverter and its Applications" organized by the Department of Electrical Engineering of the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Roorkee, Uttarakhand, India from 4-8th February 2019.
Group Photo at IIT Roorkee
I attended a short-term course on "Industrial Power System Design and Analysis" organized by the Department of Electrical Engineering of the Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology (MANIT), Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India from 2-6th December 2019.

Group Photo at MANIT Bhopal
I attended a short-term course on "PLC, Drives and Industrial Automation" organized by the Department of Electrical and Instrumentation Engineering of the Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology (SLIET), Longowal, Punjab, India from 2-6th March 2020.

Research Seminar

The research seminar is a necessary and ongoing part of the Ph.D. A research seminar is conducted to present the research progress, present research papers, and get the fellowship extension. During my Ph.D. journey, I delivered 13 research seminars which are as follows: 
  1. On the 2nd March 2019, I presented my research paper at National Conference on Computational Techniques in Renewable Energy Systems (CTRES-2019), SLIETCON-2019.
  2. On the 25th March of 2019, I delivered my Seminar-I in the HOD office of the EIE Department. I delivered my research seminar on the Conventional Multilevel Inverter (MLI) Topology.
  3. On the 28th May of 2019, I delivered Seminar II in the HOD office of the EIE Department. I delivered my research seminar on the Overview of Electric Vehicles (EVs).
  4. On the 4th September of 2019, I delivered my research seminar to show my 1st year's research progress in the HOD office of the EIE Department.
  5. On the 2nd March 2020, I delivered a seminar on my research proposal in the HOD office of the EIE Department.
  6. On the 26th November of 2020, I delivered my research seminar to show my 2nd year's research progress in the HOD office of the EIE Department.
  7. On the 24th of December 2020, I delivered a research seminar for the grant of SRF and an extension of fellowship in the HOD office of the EIE Department. During this seminar, Prof. Shailendra Jain, Prof. Ajat Shatru Arora, Prof. Sanjay Marwaha, and Dr. Ashwani Kumar Aggarwal were present in the HOD office. While, Prof. Sanjay Jain, an external expert from Thapar Institute, joined us through Google Meet.
  8. On the 6th March of 2021, I presented a research paper at the 3rd International Conference on Energy, Power, and Environment: Towards Clean Energy Technologies (ICEPE-2020) organized by the National Institute of Technology (NIT), Meghalaya, Shillong, India through Google Meet. (Watch Video).
  9. On 18th March 2021, I presented a research paper at the 2nd Conference on Flexible Electronics for Electric Vehicles (FlexEV-2021) organized by Manipal University Jaipur (MUJ), Jaipur, Rajasthan, India through Microsoft Team. (Watch Video)
  10. On the 30th of May 2021, I presented a research paper at the 2nd Electric Power Renewable Energy Conference (EPREC-2021) organized by the National Institute of Technology (NIT), Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India through Google Meet. (Watch Video)
  11. On the 19th July of 2021, I delivered a seminar for the fellowship extension after three years in the HOD office of the EIE Department. During this seminar, Prof. Surita Maini, Prof. A. S. Shahi, and Dr. Ashwani Kumar Aggarwal were present in the HOD office. While Prof. Sanjeev Singh and Prof. Shailendra Jain joined us through Google Meet.
  12. On the 7th September of 2021, I delivered my research seminar to show my 3rd year's research progress in the HOD office of the EIE Department. During this seminar, Prof. J. S. Dhillon, Prof. Surita Maini, Dr. Ashwani Kumar Aggarwal, Dr. Pratibha Tyagi, and Dr. Manmohan Singh were present in the HOD office.
  13. On the 17th February of 2022, I delivered a seminar for the fellowship extension after three years and 6 months in the HOD office of the EIE Department. During this seminar, Prof. Surita Maini, and Prof. Dileep Kumar were present in the HOD office. While Prof. Sanjeev Singh and Prof. Shailendra Jain joined us through Google Meet.
  14. On the 17th of August 2022, I delivered my research seminar to show my 4th year's research progress in the HOD office of the EIE Department. During this seminar, Prof. Surita Maini, Prof. J. S. Dhillon, Prof. Shailendra Jain, Dr. Pratibha Tyagi, Dr. Manpreet Singh Manna, Dr. Ashwani Kumar Aggarwal were present in the HOD (EIE) office.
  15. On the 27th of September 2022, I delivered a seminar for the fellowship extension after the end of the 8th semester in the HOD office of the EIE Department. During this seminar, Prof. Dileep Kumar, and Dr. Ashwani Kumar Aggarwal were present in the HOD (EIE) office. While Prof. Sanjeev Singh joined the seminar through Google Meet.
  16. On the 9th of February 2023, I delivered a seminar for the fellowship extension after the end of the 9th semester in the HOD office of the EIE Department. During this seminar, Prof. Surita Maini, Prof. Shailendra Jain, Prof. Surinder Singh Sodhi, and Dr. Ashwani Kumar Aggarwal were present in the office of the HOD (EIE). While Prof. Sanjeev Singh joined the seminar through Google Meet.
  17. On the 31st of March 2023, I delivered my synopsis seminar for my PhD thesis submission in the HOD office of the EIE Department. During this seminar, Prof. Surita Maini, Prof. Shailendra Jain, Prof. J. S. Dhillon, Prof. A. S. Arora, and Dr. Ashwani Kumar Aggarwal were present in the office of the HOD (EIE). While Prof. Sanjeev Singh joined the seminar through Google Meet.

Publications

The research publication is also a necessary and ongoing part of the Ph.D. to validate research work. During my Ph.D. journey, I published 5 research papers from my research work which are as follows:
  1. Paramjeet Singh Jamwal, Sanjeev Singh, and Shailendra Jain, "Controller optimisation under different drive cycles for induction motor driven electric vehicle fed through multilevel inverter," Int. J. Power Electronics, Vol. X, No. Y, pp. xxx - xxx, 2024https://doi.org/10.1504/IJPELEC.2024.10054731 [Scopus]
  2. Paramjeet Singh Jamwal, Sanjeev Singh, and Shailendra Jain, "Fault Tolerant Operation of Cascaded H-Bridge Three-Level Inverter for Electric Vehicle Application," International Journal of Ambient Energy, 2023. https://doi.org/10.1080/01430750.2023.2181219 [Scopus]
  3. Paramjeet Singh Jamwal, Sanjeev Singh and Shailendra Jain, "Three-Level Inverters with Volt Per Hz Control for Induction Motor Driven Electric Vehicles." In: Dwivedi, S., Singh, S., Tiwari, M., Shrivastava, A. (eds) Flexible Electronics for Electric Vehicles. Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, 2023, vol 863. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-19-0588-9_9 [Scopus]
  4. Paramjeet Singh Jamwal, Sanjeev Singh and Shailendra Jain, "Indirect Current Vector Controlled Three-Level Inverter for Induction Motor Driven Electric Vehicle." In: Kumar, S., Singh, B., Singh, A.K. (eds) Recent Advances in Power Electronics and Drives. Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, 2022, vol 852. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-16-9239-0_44 [Scopus]
  5. Paramjeet Singh Jamwal, Sanjeev Singh and Shailendra Jain, "Three-Level Inverters for Induction Motor Driven Electric Vehicles," 2020 3rd International Conference on Energy, Power and Environment: Towards Clean Energy Technologies, 2021, pp. 1-6. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/9404444
During my Ph.D. journey, I also guided two M.Tech scholars and worked jointly with one P.hD. scholar. From that work, three research papers are published which are as follows:
  1. Vinay Kumar, Paramjeet Singh Jamwal, Sanjeev Singh, and Shailendra Jain, "Optimal Selection of Modulation Index and Gain for Nine-Level Symmetric T-Type Cross-Connected Source Inverter Fed EV." In: Dwivedi, S., Singh, S., Tiwari, M., Shrivastava, A. (eds) Flexible Electronics for Electric Vehicles. Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, 2023, vol 863. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-19-0588-9_30 [Scopus]
  2. Vishwambhar Kulkarni, Sanjeev Singh, and Paramjeet Singh Jamwal, "Optimized Field Oriented Control for Induction Motor Driven Electric Vehicles," 2022 IEEE 2nd International Conference on Sustainable Energy and Future Electric Transportation (SeFeT), 2022, pp. 1-6.  https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/9909017
  3. Akshay Juneja, Sunil Kumar Bansal, and Paramjeet Singh Jamwal, "Comparative Analysis of PWM and Hysteresis Current Controllers for Unbalanced Non-Linear Load using DSTATCOM," 2021 Emerging Trends in Industry 4.0 (ETI 4.0), 2021, pp. 1-7. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/9619309
On 21st April 2023, I submitted my PhD thesis to the Electrical and Instrumentation Department of Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology, Longowal, Sangrur, Punjab, India. I hope this article will help you to get some idea about Ph.D. 

1 comment

Shri Venkateshwara University said...

Very informative post. Thank you so much for sharing with us. Are you looking for best phd colleges in India? Shri Venkateshwara University is the best option.

Powered by Blogger.